My husband and I are lucky enough to be heading from Canberra, Australia to Europe for a holiday to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We haven’t been to Europe since 1994 (which is when I took the photos at the top of this blog). Back then we toured for 4 fantastic months and my weight sky rocketed as I ate and drank my way through France, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Belgium, Britain, Scotland, Ireland and Singapore. Since then I have always associated travel with weight gain and doing penance on my return.
In November 2011 we headed to the US where we spent a couple of very memorable weeks in Santa Monica, Chicago and New York. Californian food was fantastically healthy and abundant. Chicago food not so healthy but still good and even more abundant (an enormous Mexican banquet comes to mind). New York was indescribably good. I can’t say that I held back on the eating anywhere. However, we walked and walked and walked and then walked some more. Unfortunately I didn’t track how many kilometres we walked each day. I’ve always been curious to know as when I returned I found that my clothes were actually looser, not tighter! I can only put it down to the amount of walking that we did. I don’t usually step on scales, so I could only go by the fit of my clothes which is all that really matters to me anyway.
Ever since then I have wanted to track my weight, measurements and walking distance to see if I can repeat the experience. I can’t guarantee if I can but if I can’t then I’ll have had a damned good time finding out.
So the plan is to head off on 4 April:
- to Paris where we will stay in a gorgeous apartment for 6 nights,
- trek Paris covering some sight seeing, lots of cafes and markets,
- do some day trips to some of our favourite medieval towns from our first trip (eg Troyes),
- train to Brussels where we will stay with friends for a week,
- do some more day trips to towns we have been to before (eg Brugge),
- maybe pop up to Amsterdam for a day (we had one of those moments on the last trip where Amsterdam just looked too far to drive to in the time we had, so we went to Brussels instead…)
- fly to Hong Kong where we will spend 2 nights with friends who recently located there and have great plans for our visit also.
Did I mention that all of this is child free?? Our 9YO went to bed ranting when he found out that we were going and he wasn’t and woke up ranting. I said that his turn will come. My lovely father-in-law is visiting from Hobart to look after the boys, followed up by my lovely father who will help out when we return to work with still a week of school holidays to cover.
Excitement doesn’t begin to cover the way we feel but I’m sure you will get the gist once I start posting from Paris!
Less than 3 weeks to go!! One pedometer to buy!